How Is Contact Dermatitis Treated?

Contact Dermatitis

Do you develop red, itchy bumps around your ankles hours after hiking through the woods? Did a rash appear on your neck after you wore a new necklace? Has your face broken out in hives during an afternoon at the beach? Poison ivy, jewelry made of certain metals (especially nickel or gold) and sunscreen all can cause contact dermatitis — a skin condition that results from exposure to something to which you’re either sensitive or allergic.

Other common irritants or allergens include:

Other common irritants or allergens include:

  • Fragrant soaps
  • Rubber
  • Deodorants
  • Bleach
  • Hand sanitizers

What are the symptoms of Contact Dermatitis?
Symptoms of contact dermatitis include:

  • Red, irritated skin
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Bumps or blisters, sometimes filled with clear fluid
  • Hot or tender skin

These symptoms can range from mild to severe, and they can appear anywhere from a few hours to 10 days after coming into contact with the irritant or allergen. A contact dermatitis rash cannot be spread to anyone else.

How is Contact Dermatitis treated?

There are two parts to addressing contact dermatitis: First, treat the irritated skin. Next, determine what caused the reaction so you can avoid that allergen or irritant in the future.

Your doctor can prescribe creams or, in some cases, oral medication to relieve the itching and help the damaged skin to heal. Antihistamines and ointments can also help. Avoid scratching the affected area to prevent infection.