The most common symptoms of pink eye include:
- Redness, itchiness, and/or gritty feeling in one or both eyes
- Thick yellow or green discharge (sign of a bacterial infection)
- Thin or clear discharge from the eye (sign of a viral or allergic reaction)
- Eyes are extremely painful and sensitive in the light
- Eyes stuck shut when you wake up in the morning
While pink eye can be irritating, it rarely causes long-term effects on your vision. However, it is important to seek medical attention and treatment in order to confirm that the symptoms are not due to more serious problem. With early diagnosis and proper treatment, you can help to limit its spread.